A Diversified Co-op Preschool Program
Discover fun-filled, educational morning preschool programming for your children, in a co-operative setting where parents play a key role!
Curzon classes are held Monday to Friday, from 8:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m., for 24 children three- to five-years-old. Our Pussycats (3-4 year-olds) and Owls (4-5 year-olds) enjoy a safe and caring environment where play and learning go hand in hand.
Mini-Curzon classes are held Monday/Wednesday/Friday, from 9:00am to 11:30am, for 10 children two to three years old. Our Piggy-wigs focus on making new friends, while learning to separate from parents. We also have the possibility of an enrichment program for Piggy-wigs on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00am to 11:30am.
Curzon: Learning through play
At Curzon, three dedicated professional preschool teachers plus one duty parent welcome your child each day into a highly-individualized program. Our educational philosophy is learning through play: where children naturally develop their social & cognitive skills, grow in emotional maturity, and gain the imagination & self-confidence they need to succeed in their later school lives
A Typical Day at Curzon
08:40 – 08:55 Welcome and Free Play
08:55 – 09:15 Gathering Circle
09:15 – 09:45 1st Activity Period
09:45 – 10:00 Game Circle
10:00 – 10:30 Snack Time and Free Play
10:30 – 11:35 2nd and 3rd Activity Period
11:35 – 11:45 Bunny Circle
11:45 Pick-up time
A blend of free play; teacher-directed activities such as theme-related learning, skill development, arts & crafts, song & dance, stories & play; and smaller age-group-appropriate separate activity periods.
Program highlights include:
- A core curriculum focused on Music & Movement, Arts & Crafts, Gym, Yoga, Science and Outdoor Play.
- Bilingual classroom atmosphere, with one dedicated French-speaking educator and French-only activity periods.
- Weekly and monthly educational themes, supported by field trips, exciting classroom visitors and popular activities such as our learn to swim and learn to skate programs.
Mini-Curzon: Making new friends
At Mini-Curzon, two enthusiastic and energetic teachers help your child make new friends and foster independence, with a focus on sharing, verbalizing and developing empathy through play.
A Typical Day at Mini-Curzon
09:00 – 09:30 Welcome! The fun begins!
09:30 – 10:00 Circle time, Weather frog, Letter and Number
of the day.
10:00 – 10:30 Snack time
10:30 – 11:15 Special activities (yoga, music, science, dance,
11:15 – 11:30 Goodbye circle (songs, stories, games).
11:30 Pick-up time
A mix of free play and teacher-directed learning activities, in a bright and spacious classroom environment.
Program highlights include:
- A diverse curriculum, including arts & crafts, song & dance, games, yoga, gym, drama, fine motor skills development through play, and more!
- Weekly and seasonal educational themes, such as Things to Go, Pets, Holiday Celebrations, Things that Grow, supported by field trips and joining older Owl & Pussycat friends in the Curzon classroom.
- Specialized science stream, exploring topics such as Colour Mixing, How Big is a Whale & How do Clouds Work, supported by unique classroom projects such as Monarchs Without Borders.
Curzon is a co-operative in which parental involvement is essential. Parents play a key role in the running of the school by accepting the following shared responsibilities:
- Duty Days: Approximately once every 5 weeks for Curzon & once every 10 weeks for Mini-Curzon, one parent will come in for the morning to assist the teachers. Duty Days are special days for the Duty Child. They have additional responsibilities, including Show & Tell, Calendar, and Bunny Circle. These can be attended by parents, grandparents or caregivers.
- Participation in 2-4 general meetings per year.
- Involvement in one of our parent co-op jobs.